Highnam Court Gardens - Gloucestershire Gardens & Aboretums
Highnam Court was built in 1658 after the original house was seriously damaged in the Civil War. The accomplished artist, musician and art collecter Thomas Gambier Parry bought the estate in 1838 and designed the garden. When completed it rivalled any in the country. (He was also responsible for the magnificent frescoes in Highnam Church.) The gardens were sadly neglected after the turn of the last century, but since 1994 they have been restored to their former glory.